23 November | 0 Comments | By Arizona Mental Health Helpline Team
Taking a good care of physical health is a priority for many, but mental health is hardly talked about, except when someone is actually going through a mental illness. It is a well-known fact that taking care of all aspects of one’s life, including both physical and mental health, can increase the likelihood that he or she stays well. But, not many people make efforts to maintain a healthy mind that is extremely important so that one can function to the best their abilities.
Here are some tips that can help someone combat everyday life stressors:
- Choosing wisely: Life is too short to be spent around people who add little to one’s life and rather act as emotional manipulators and add nothing constructive. One must be very cautious while selecting friends and developing fellowship with coworkers. If someone has nasty coworkers or peers, it is best to avoid them at all costs. Spending time with hatemongers, blabbermouths and the likes, eventually takes a toll on an individual, affecting his or her mental health.
- Indulging in physical activity: Good physical health is inevitable to ensure the healthy working of mind. Studies have reported that a daily physical activity of at least 30 minutes not only helps in battling with many physical ailments, but also helps in keeping the mental stress at bay.
- Consuming nutritious diet: Along with a reasonable physical activity, one must also have a wholesome nutritious diet. Diet rich in omega fatty acids, proteins, complex carbohydrates, no or very low sugar and ample amount of water can go a long way in ensuring a good physical health, complementing a healthy mental health. Also, one must refrain from excessive indulgence into alcohol and drugs.
- Having realistic goals: One must set goals and strive to reach them and then set the new ones. This provides a sense of accomplishment which acts as a huge motivation. However, before setting a goal, one must do a thorough evaluation of the available resources, timeline, the emotional value of achieving that goal or how is it going to add value to one’s life.
- Getting sound sleep: The quality of sleep affects the mental health, which, in turn, affects one’s day-to-day life. If one is sleep deprived, it can result in accidents, mood disorders, compromised output at work, and so on. In children and adolescents, sleep also helps in growth and development.
- Adopting relaxation techniques: No matter how hectic one’s life is, relaxation plays a crucial role in alleviating stress and calming the mind. Relaxation can be achieved by doing a complete digital detox, reading a good book every day, listening to calming music, indulging in any hobby that brings positive vibes, etc.
- Seeking support for recovery: Challenging situations in life such as death of a loved one, separation or divorce, loss of job, infertility etc., might bring a lot of mental distress to an individual. In addition, excessive use of alcohol and drugs, presence of an underlying disorder such as depression, anxiety, etc., might not help attain a healthy mental status. In such a scenario, one must seek support.
Help is just a call away
Mental illness can happen to anyone. Therefore, it is important to treat those with such illnesses like any other member of the society and provide them the required support.
If you know someone who is suffering from any kind of mental illness that is impacting the quality of their life, contact the Arizona Mental Health Helpline. You may call at our 24/7 helpline number 866-606-7791 or chat online with one of our experts to know more about the best mental health treatment centers in Arizona. Our trained medical professionals will ensure that you reach your desired mental well-being at the earliest.